"A super computer is a machine that is only two orders of magnitude too
slow for my problem."
Antony Jameson, Princeton
It's a big job to decide which platform configurations to test and which
to leave to chance. From experience we have learned that certain vendors
are more trustworthy than others. HPUX is notorious for changing the set
of operating systems faults with each release.
To determine machine resources you must account for
- base hardware configuration (number and type of processors, memory, etc.)
- hardware peripherals (number of colors, display resolution, etc.)
- system software (operating system)
- interactions with other software (databases, etc.)
- frequency and duration of test runs
- can machines be shared or must they be dedicated
Copyright 1998 Anne Powelllast update 2/16/98